lauren conrad at MTV's the hills' season 4 finale
yes i watch the hills, but that aside, the biggest fashion news aside from whitney port in love it/hate it DvF was LC in her gorgeous sequinned phillip lim dress (which i promptly went to club 21 to check out...it really looks and feels exactly as fabulous as the pictures!!!!)
but more important was a trend i've been observing on the red carpets:
the secret under-updo
(that's what i'm calling it, at least!)
rosario dawson shows off her hairstyle
so, as this picture clearly demonstrates, it works best and ONLY if you have a suitably long length of hair to tuck under, creating the illusion of short hair without the "britney moment". as both rosario and LC have shown, it looks pretty damn cute from the front, especially with wavy pieces framing your face. after some research, here's how you do it:
- separate hair into 4-6 sections (depending on how much hair you have...)
- take each section and loosely tuck it under, folding the section of hair inwards, towards your scalp
- use 1/2 bobby pins to secure it at the nape of your neck, making sure that the pins are sufficiently camouflaged by your hair.
- most importantly: hairspray!!!!!
- as for the front: pull out some wisps, curl them or leave, as is, creating a soft look.
- more hairspray
molly sims, whose hair here is flatter than her acting chops
the mistakes you must be careful not to make are (as so ably shown above):
- lack of volume: her hair is tucked under too tightly, ruining the entire poufy effect of the updo in the first place. TOO FLAT!!!
- wispy pieces are too long
- wispy pieces are too uniform (they should be curled separately in small sections)
- not checking herself in the mirror before leaving the hotel room
and with more experimentation in mind, HAPPY 2009!!!